How to Inspect a Used Piano Before Purchasing
Buying a used piano can be a great way to save money while still getting a quality instrument, but it’s important to carefully inspect the piano before making a purchase to avoid any surprises down the line. When you rent or purchase a used one from SoCal Pianos, you can have peace of mind knowing your instrument has been thoroughly inspected and ready to be played.
If you’re purchasing a used piano on your own, here are some steps to take to make sure it’s in good condition:
- Carefully inspect the exterior. Look for any signs of damage, such as scratches, dents or chips in the finish. Also, check for any signs of wear on the keys or pedals.
- Inspect the soundboard. The soundboard is a large, thin piece of wood that amplifies the sound of the strings. Check it for any cracks or warping, as this can affect the sound quality of the piano.
- Check the tuning pins. These are the metal pins that hold the strings in place. Make sure they are all tight and secure, and that none of them are bent or damaged.
- Inspect the strings. Look for any signs of rust, corrosion or fraying. Also, check that all the strings are present and properly attached.
- Play it. Test out each key to make sure it works properly and produces a clear, even tone. Listen for any buzzing or other usual sounds.
- Check that the pedals are working properly to produce the desired effect: softening or sustaining the sound as desired.
- Get an expert opinion. If possible, have a professional piano tuner or technician inspect the piano before signing on the dotted line. They can give you a more detailed assessment of the piano’s condition and any necessary repairs or maintenance.
Taking the time to fully inspect it you’re considering is worth the effort to ensure you’re making a good investment. Even a well-maintained used piano may still require some upkeep or repairs, so factor this into your decision-making process.
If you want to take the pressure off yourself, contact SoCal Pianos for an in-store appointment at our Ontario, CA location; or, visit our online retailer at pianorentals.com. We fully inspect every used piano we rent or sell and make any necessary repairs before offering them to our customers.
SoCal Pianos has been providing the means for beautiful music in Southern California since 1991. We can help you get the piano that’s best for you, too.