We get asked this question all the time: is investing in a used piano a wise decision? The short answer is yes, because there are many fine secondhand pianos that are still in excellent condition and will hold their value. A longer version of that answer is still yes, but the buyer needs to do extensive research and comparisons. Pianos are wonderful instruments appreciated around the globe for their beauty and resonant sounds. They are also universally recognized as a wonderful instrument for beginners both young and old to learn on. Unfortunately, they generally come with a hefty price tag, which is why the market for pre-owned player is quite large.
SoCal Pianos has quite a bit of experience in helping our Ontario and Palm Desert customers locate used pianos for their families’ entertainment. And we agree, there are plenty of reasons to consider purchasing a secondhand instrument.
- Cost. This is the most obvious and overriding factor when considering a used piano purchase. Instrument stores will mark down their pre-owned models and you can even save more if you know a friend or receive a referral to someone who wants to sell their piano.
- Voice & Quality Ages Well. A well-maintained secondhand player acquires an aged, mature timbre and sound over time.
- No Noticeable Depreciation. When you buy a new instrument and then turn around and sell it, you will notice a significant depreciation in value. This is not true with pre-owned player, which hold their cost.
- Rebuild/Restore Possibilities. A pre-owned piano can often be rebuilt or restored to an original condition at a much cheaper cost than buying a new instrument with similar features and construction.
Of course, there are a few risks that come with buying anything used, including instruments.
- No warranty. In most cases, secondhand players do not come with a warranty, thereby eliminating the peace of mind that comes with a new purchase warranty.
- May not be properly tuned. This could be because of neglect or a lack of maintenance, but either way, tuning a secondhand piano can be difficult.
- Hidden defects. Unless completely restored, there could be hidden design or construction defects in the instrument
Because of these risks, it is always a good idea to have an instrument inspected by a professional piano technician.
ONTARIO & PALM DESERT, CA PIANO PROS
SoCal Pianos has been servicing the needs of customers and piano lovers in the Orange County and Coachella Valley areas since 1990. We offer a complete line of new instrument sales and service of all major brands and models. We also specialize in piano rentals, which you can learn more about here: https://pianorentals.com. And don’t forget, we can help you find the most qualified player instructors in your area. Call us at our Ontario showroom or Palm Desert locations to make an appointment today.